Re: block-based parsing?

Been a while since I actually got in on a discussion, but this one seems
interesting.

I'm gonna have to agree that, imo, the browsers can't really be trusted
to tell the truth about what they genuinely support and what they don't.

I'll tell you what I think disturbs me the most at this point.  CSS
seems to have no... cohesion.  Which is probably where all the talk of
versioning always starts.  I don't think that versioning will fix the
issue (since the issue lies with the browser engineers and not with the
standards engineers).

What I really think will fix the issue is this:

The browser engineers are always reaching toward the css standards,
trying to implement them (at least the folks everywhere except MS are,
and well... we'll see if I can include them after version 7 or not)
point being, how much reaching back is the WG doing?  I'll admit that
I'm ignorant about this.  I ask the question because I don't know how
much reaching back the WG IS doing.  Sure there are write ups about what
the standards include and how they should act, but are we actively
supporting the folks who might benefit from such support?  Or do the
programmers of Gecko and the like toil away in a bubble just
interpretting the documents produced by the WG on their own and trying
to implement them without 3rd party (the WG) help?  Perhaps (and again,
I may simply be ignorant of what's already being done) we just need to
be more active in offering our support to the browser engineers?

I realize I've suggested something that's well... huge, but could this
help?  Could this bring cohesion to the CSS renderers?  Love to hear
some response, even if it's just to educate me on what we may already be
doing.

Kris