Re: Are href and src part of CSS?

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:22:12 +0100
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>

Adrian,

this query wasn't related to authoring, rather user accessibility,
sorry for any confusion, XSLT isn't relevant in this instance.

content seems designed for a rather different purpose, it isn't clear
that your suggestion would be supported "the value of the content
property is a sequence of text strings..." not images as I read it,
but please let me know if my quote has been updated.

cheers

~:"

On 8 Sep 2005, at 15:22, Orion Adrian wrote:

On 9/8/05, Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com> wrote:

> It would be convenient for many if a particular destination was
> listed but once on a page, but might be clicked from various
> locations. This would seem to be feasible where destinations are part
> of the style and linked by class....
>
> Are href and src truly part of the content of a page? if not they
> might be considered part of the presentation.
>
> a.mylink {href: http://www.peepo.com}
> img.mypix {src: clara.gif}
>
> Sighted mouse and keyboard use being such essentially contrasting
> disciplines.
> Activation of a link could highlight all cases of a class
> demonstrating their relation.
> Currently this is only possible for immediate proximity, and then
> with difficulty.

content: url(clara.gif) covers the second case, but the first case is
very much semantic or did you have in mind that all links would be
given an id? CSS isn't a CMS solution, but merely a presenation
system. XSLT would handle the first case better than CSS.

--

Orion Adrian

Jonathan Chetwynd
Accessibility Consultant on Learning Disabilities and the Internet

29 Crimsworth Road
SW8 4RJ

020 7978 1764