Re: Syntax for Ranges?

From: Ben Ward <benmward@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 13:35:18 +0100
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Cc: Kelly Miller <lightsolphoenix@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org

On 29/10/05, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:
> > height: range(18px,30em) - No smaller than 18px, no larger than 30em.
>
> So, what height would it be?  Any random height between 18px and 30em?

I was thinking much the same. I like the idea of having min/max
properties condensed into one, certainly with there being a number of
voices about the web asking for min/max margins and paddings.

Is there a problem if we simply add a third parameter as follows?

| height: range(initial, min, max);

Using the word 'initial' is of course less than ideal since it's used
elsewhere in CSS, but for sake of this rough example I hope that's OK
;-)

Ben
http://ben-ward.co.uk