Re: Styling by attribute-based association?

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:12:02 -0400
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Bert Bos wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 October 2005 09:39, David Woolley wrote:
>>>I haven't thought about it for more than 5 minutes, so I'm sure
>>>there are lots of problems. But at least in 5 minutes I discovered
>>>fewer
>>
>>You get the normal back-reference type problems, including:
>>
>>   INPUT:hover -> LABEL {display: none}
>>
>>for the common nested case.
>
> Isn't that the same problem as 'INPUT:hover {display: none}' ?
>
> I think it is well-defined, just not very useful in practice.

   He's talking about this:

   When you hover over the <input>, the parent is set to "display:
none", so the <input> is hidden as well, but that stops the hover, which
causes the element to reappear...

   Same thing can occur when changing the size of the <label>, so
ideally there would need to be a limitation on what properties you could
use with this selector. Outline, background and other would be
unaffected, but anything that can change the bounding box size is a no-no.