[CSS21] Inheritance and first-line

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:32:48 -0500

I'm looking at section 5.12.1 of CSS2.1, and I'm not quite sure what should
happen with the following styles:

div { display: block; }
div::first-line { display: table; color: red; }
span { display: inherit; }

and the markup

text that goes on second line</span></div>

Per the spec, the expected fictional tag sequence would be:

So the display of the <span> will be "table", as I understand?  But then this
runs into the "The first line of a table-cell or inline-block cannot be the
first formatted line of an ancestor element" language.  So I'm a little at a
loss as to what the resulting rendering should be.  In particular, which text,
if any, should be red?  Should there be any tables around?

Note that I realize that the 'display' property need not "apply" to
::first-line, but it's not clear what it means that the properties "don't
apply".  In particular, it's not clear whether this affects the computed values
of those properties or the used values...

-Boris