Re: [CSS21] Examples

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Chris Lilley wrote:

>>> Refering to the markup used is quite inappropriate. It would help
>>> almost none of our readers, and probably just confuse the beginners.
>
> Treating all your readers as fools is not a good way forward. If someone
> is reading a specification on adding styling to marked-up documents, its
> clear that they know what markup is.

Saying it wouldn't help does not imply that it would not be understood
(assuming that's what you meant by "treating ... as fools"). Nor did I
make any claims regarding what fraction of the readers are beginners.

> >> No, it would then make it clear that the styling is done based on
> >> semantic classes.
>
> IH> It would make that not in the least bit clear, since many of our readers
> IH> have no idea what that means.
>
> Which takes us right back to useful examples.

This issue was unrelated to adding useful examples. The issue you
originally raised on behalf of CDF and SVG was a question that was
answered, and has had those answers clarified in detail on this thread.
You since (presumably as a personal comment, not representing CDF and SVG
any more) made the very strange request that we should talk about the
markup of the spec in the spec itself. I have explained that it does not
seem that this suggestion is a good idea. If this is unacceptable to you I
do not see what else we can do, but can mark the issue as "unresolved" in
the issues list if you wish.