Re: [CSS21] Unclear applicability to XML

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Chris Lilley wrote:

> >> Because the spec sometimes implies that and other times does not;
> >> because you sometimes imply that and other times not.
>
> IH> With all due respect, I think you would have an [easier] time understanding
> IH> both the CSS specs and my own e-mails if you read what was written,
> IH> instead of trying to read what might or might not be implied.
>
> I agree, so change the spec to state clearly what it is aimed at and
> then I can stop trying to guess.

As I already mentioned, the spec already, in plain english, answers your
questions as early as the abstract:

# CSS 2.1 is a style sheet language that allows authors and users to
# attach style (e.g., fonts and spacing) to structured documents (e.g.,
# HTML documents and XML applications).

Now, it is true that other specifications have overloaded the term
"document" to mean specific things, but in the absence of a definition, I
suggest that the plain english meaning is the default one should use.

After all, specifications have also overloaded the terms "overloaded",
"term", "specific", "definition", "plain", "default" and "use", but you
still presumably understood the previous sentence.

If you still disagree, please suggest specific changes to the abstract or
other parts of the spec that would satisfy your request. I trust I have
explained the applicability of CSS to XML in enough detail by now that you
understand what was intended and can therefore write text that you believe
matches this.

Thanks,