Re: Italics and emphasis (was: Re: Five new proposals about CSS)

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:22:07 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
On 10/16/05, David Latapie <david@empyree.org> wrote:

> Le 16 oct. 05 à 18:05, Boris Zbarsky a écrit :
>
> > (say every other stanza is italicised)
>
> in that case, the roman, *will* be emphasized — by its lack of
> italics. Say
>
> .poem    {font-style:italic}
> em       {font-style:normal}

Is there some point where we say marking up a poem or even ascii art
is something that can be reasonably done with normal semantics. Are
they not a category all to themselves? Perhaps we should recommend
that poems simply be given their own subset of markup or we should
simply leave their domain alone.

--

Orion Adrian