Re: Five new proposals about CSS

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:08:05 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

On 10/16/05, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> > What if the author of the poem decided to put certain words in red, for
> > instance? What then? Or how about futurist poems where the layout,
> > colour, line work, etc are all part of the author's intention? With the
> > poetry argument we may as well abandon the whole "separation of content
> > and presentation" entirely then...
> Well.  At some point I'd draw the line and include a graphic of the poem.  ;)
> In PDF or SVG or something else reasonably accessible if that's needed.  Because
> that's running into the "the presentation is the content" end of the spectrum.
> But italics come up in other cases too (eg consider a tutorial on typographic
> conventions).
> Whethere there are enough use cases to justify keeping them is debatable, of
> course (hence this debate).

I think you have to remove all cases where styling is content from
your semantic categories. I could have an article about various
typefaces like Times New Roman, but that doesn't mean we should
reintroduce <font>. Any time you write about something about
presentation, that presentation shouldn't be marked up with a semantic
equivalent, but rather should be encoded in an image or a PDF;
something that will garuntee its survival once rendered.

<b> and <i> should be removed, but that's another working group's issue.

Also, when emphasis or strong are hit, they are spoken using pauses
and increases in volume.

Orion Adrian