Re: What 'Advanced Layout' suggestions have been proposed?

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 23:19:42 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

On 10/4/05, Dimitri Glazkov <dimitri.glazkov@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/3/05, Ben Ward <benmward@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hope that helps,
>
> Thanks, Ben. That was indeed helpful and insightful.
>
> Now, if you don't mind, I would like to take this discussion on a
> slightly different route -- conceptually, what pseudo-containers
> mechanism does is create a second DOM tree, which is different from
> the original DOM tree.
>
> My thinking is (and I've tried to articulate this concept in a
> haphazardous fashion before on a WhatWg list) that this DOM tree
> should also be accessible to scripting, so that more complex
> manipulations could be performed on this tree for purely
> presentational purposes, without having to worry about affecting the
> content DOM tree.
>
> What are this list's thoughts on this idea?

I still haven't gotten a lot of feedback on UI and content separation
of CSS which would solve much of this problem as you could create any
number of arbitrary regions (like XFrames, but way cooler). UI exists
outside of content and integration of the two is just painful as they
require totally different styling techniques.

--

Orion Adrian