Re: Simple template-based editing

From: Dimitri Glazkov <dimitri.glazkov@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 08:20:18 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
Cc: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>, Robert Koberg <rob@koberg.com>

On 10/2/05, Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl> wrote:

> When you are building applications you need script anyway. For most
> things with
> regard to contentEditable it is almost like a requirement. Therefore having
> some additional native markup just for submission does not really make sense.
>
> Note that requiring scripting for applications should not really be an issue.

Scripting requirement for Web application is more of a byproduct of
misunderstanding the way Web works and early
experimentations/fascination with relatively new technology.

An HTML app should work without JS, CSS, Flash, or any other extras.
That's the whole point.

IMHO, treating it as a non-issue goes against the grain of the whole
semantic markup philosophy.  You might as well invent a "stuff"
element and let Javascript do whatever it wants inside of it. Oh,
wait. This has already been done with "canvas" element :)

The problem with this approach is that you leak semantics into another
medium, be that JS, Flash, Java or whatever other application platform
comes next. Once semantics are gone, there is no way to understand
what the app is doing without having to run it.

And that is where I see a big red flag: you lose the sight of what
HTML is all about.

:DG<