Re: Why Binding Scripting in Style Layer Conflates Semantics

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 19:07:02 -0600
To: shelby@coolpage.com
CC: www-style@w3.org

I believe this is my last mail on the subject, since we're clearly talking about
different things...

Shelby Moore wrote:
>> <map name="foo">
> And I don't think the semantics are obscured, if transforming from
> unspecialized <select> to <map> you have above.

<map> is HTML markup for an imagemap, no relationship to geographical maps.  The
semantics went from "way to select a country" to "image with some clickable
regions", with no indication that the regions correspond to countries.

> I assume the style (XSLT) coder didn't want to imply "country"
> semantics, only "map" semantics.

The point is, the XSLT coder COULD NOT imply "country" semantics and work
reasonably while dealing with HTML markup.

> Whereas, XBL (binding scripting at style layer) enables the consumer, UA,
> coder, etc to obscure semantics architecturally.

XBL bindings never change semantics -- the semantics are always right there in
the markup.  I don't know whether you're just ignoring this or whether you
missed it.

-Boris