Re: Why Binding Scripting in Style Layer Conflates Semantics

On Thursday 2005-11-24 05:16 -0500, Shelby Moore wrote:
> Sorry but I hate when people don't read.  I already answered this in my
> opening post of this thread today (and I've only made 5 posts today):

People on this list have other things to do than read the list, and the
reason they "don't read" is often that there is too much to read.  The
word "only" is not appropriate for describing "5 posts today".  Five
posts in one day is a lot, and you shouldn't expect all readers of this
list to read that much, especially when that rate continues for many
days at a time.  (Nor should you expect readers to suppress their own
opinions just because they didn't have time to read everything you
wrote, since such an expectation would mean that whoever writes the most
wins the argument.)

> already today.  Please don't drag me into redundantly defending the same
> points over and over again.

If you reply over and over again, it will take the people on this list a
lot of time to read the messages just to figure out which points are new
and which are repetition.  So many won't bother, and they'll miss any
points that are new.

You'll have a better chance of getting your point across if you only
reply when you're saying something:
 (1) important to your argument (i.e., not a digression), and
 (2) either
     (a) new, or
     (b) significantly more clearly than you said it the first time.

-David