Re: Why Binding Scripting in Style Layer Conflates Semantics

Shelby Moore wrote:
> Ian Hickson gave an example of rendering the text within an <a>text</a>
> hyperlink tag as a date, and then in later post he suggested the ability
> to render a <select> as a map of countries:
 > For example,
> <mapselect> or <select type="map">.

OK.  So say I have a <select type="map"> as a result of XSLT.  I'm still
trying to render a map of countries (from which the user can _select_ a
country).  Whither from now?

The idea of XBL-like things is that given semantic markup like <select
type="select-a-country"> (which clearly says what we're selecting), one
can attach different presentations (a dropdown list of countries, an
imagemap for which clicking on a country selects it, a set of radio
buttons, one radio button per country, etc).

Note that producing these with server-side XSLT would actually obscure
the semantics (those being simply "select a country").  Producing these
with client-side XSLT is possible, and very similar in spirit to the XBL
approach as far as I can tell.

So I don't see what the big argument is about, frankly...

-Boris