Re: [CSS21] Status of defult (intrinsic) style sheet in UA

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> Again how then they related to each other?

That's what the section that talks about sorting specifies.

> Let's say we have element with initially empty style.
>
> Then sequence of style resolving actions will be
>
> 1) Apply UA default styles.
> 2) Apply author and user styles.
>
> #2 will unconditionally override values of #1.

OK.  But how is that different from:

1)  Apply UA default styles
2)  Apply user styles
3)  Apply author styles
4)  Apply author !important styles
5)  Apply user !important styles

which is what the spec currently says?  That is, what is the benefit of having a
2-step process with step 2 broken up into 4 steps vs just having a 5-step process?

> Why do we need to put them in one table?

It seems to me that it makes it clearer what overrides what -- there is only one
place you have to look at to find out.

> ... according to cascading rule
> "more specific selectors will override more general ones."
> UA rule will override Author style for second li:

See my mail requesting clarification that each subsequent sort is only within
things that were "the same" for a previous sort.

> If we need all five style systems behave as one table
> then why just not to add into
> [http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#specificity]
> one more "digit" into "a-b-c-d" ?

That could indeed be done (and is in fact more or less what the "inline style
rule" digit is)...

-Boris