Re: [CSS21] Status of defult (intrinsic) style sheet in UA

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> I didn't notice that in 6.4.2, it defines that only user and author
> stylesheets can contain !important rules, and incorrectly assumed that they
> could be used in a UA stylesheet as well.  However, it doesn't seem to be
> defined how a UA should handle such rules in a UA stylesheet. Should they be
> ignored?  Should they be treated as normal rules?  Should they do as I
> suggested above and only override other user agent normal styles?

Doesn't matter, since by definition only one UA will ever have to deal
with those rules, and therefore interoperability is not required when it
comes to handling of those rules.

> Or something else, like what Firefox does?

In Firefox ua.css !important rules are ultimate overrides, used to work
around crashes, non-sensical rules, and the like. (There are quite a lot
of them if you look around html.css, forms.css, etc.)