Re: [CSS21] Status of defult (intrinsic) style sheet in UA

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:18:43 -0800
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: "Simon Pieters" <zcorpan@hotmail.com>, <www-style@w3.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>

| Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
| > The document you mentioned tells different story:
|
| Not really, no.
|
| > "User agent: Conforming user agents must apply a default style sheet (or
behave
| > as if they did) prior to all other style sheets for a document....."
|
| Yes.
|
| > There is no mentioning about the weight or so.
|
| You didn't read far enough.  See section 6.4.1, which says:
|
|   # Sort by importance (normal or important) and origin (author, user,
|   or user agent). In ascending order:
|
|     1. user agent style sheets
|     2. user normal style sheets
|     3. author normal style sheets
|     4. author important style sheets
|     5. user important style sheets
|
| > As far as I understand it: these two systems of styles are completely
| > independent
|
| All that happens is that any user or author origin rule automatically
| "beats" any ua (not !important) rule.
|
| > so weights or specificity of their elements are isolated from
| > each other.
|
| Yes, but their interaction is quite well-defined.  So I'm not sure what
| you want as a clarification here.

Well then logic of definition is not clear.

These two statements:

1) "User agent: Conforming user agents must apply a default style sheet (or
behave
as if they did) *prior to all other style sheets* for a document....."

2) "# Sort by importance (normal or important) and origin (author, user,
 or user agent). In ascending order:...."

are conradicting each other. Aren't they?

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com