Re: Line Breaking Properties and the inline box model

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Several people inside Opera wonder how CSS interacts with the Line
> Breaking Properties standard[1].
>
> [1]<http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr14/>

It doesn't, in particular. User agents are free to use whatever they like
for line breaking.

Note that Unicode TR#14 is generally considered to be just a basic
guideline, it certainly isn't the optimal line-breaking algorithm, and in
general fails to handle a number of scripts in sensible ways. Even with
languages like English it has numerous problems, for example it handles
maths rather poorly.

In short, I would not recommend following TR#14 very closely.

> Especially as it defines some very specific rules for displaying certain
> text, but does not say how this interacts with CSS. If you have:

> ...and the SPAN element has a 'border'. Is line-breaking allowed? I
> assume it is allowed when the SPAN is set to 'display:block'.

I do not understand this question. Is line-breaking allowed where? What is
the value of 'white-space'? What is the language of the element? etc.