Re: Suggestion for multi-column layout: pseudo-elements?

From: Kelly Miller <lightsolphoenix@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:53:52 -0400
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
CC: www-style@w3.org

David Woolley wrote:

>>pseudo-element like nth-child to cover styling columns.  It wouldn't be
>>

>nth-child is/would be a selector that selects a real element.  I think
>you would need a new concept of a pseudo-child, as pseudo elements are
>normally siblings.

Yes, that's right.  nth-child is a pseudo-class.  However, in the case
of columns, there isn't really an element to select a single column, so
logically one should use a pseudo-element.  I'm just not sure how the
syntax could be done; though using a variant of nth-child makes some
sense, since you can use it with a constant to target a specific column,
or with a formula to target a group of columns.

Though it is true that at this time, there is no pseudo-element that
works like this.

--
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ - Get Firefox!
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/ - Reclaim Your Inbox!