Re: CSS selectors and xml:id

* Ian Hickson wrote:
>On Sun, 8 May 2005, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>>
>> The data:text/css,test{background:red}test#test{background:lime} is a
>> URI reference to the "test{background:lime}" fragment of the style
>> sheet. I sure hope there is no WHATWG proposal that changes that as that
>> would be incompatible with a broad range of URI and RFC 2397
>> implementations.
>
>Um, data: URIs have no fragment identifiers. Why would "#" have any
>special meaning in data: URIs? (Having said that, data: URIs maybe
>_should_ have fragment identifiers, but that's another story.)

RFC 2397 does not allow the "#" to appear anywhere, so even if it is
a matter of the scheme whether the first "#" introduces a fragment
identifier, the test document would be non-compliant. But I am not
sure why you think this depends on the scheme, the value of the href
pseudo-attribute is defined to be a URI Reference and these always
allow an optional fragment identifier. Try data:,x#y in Opera 8, it
will show "x" not "x#y" ...