Re: CSS selectors and xml:id

* Ian Hickson wrote:
>> http://annevankesteren.nl/test/xml/xml-id/003.xml
>> http://annevankesteren.nl/test/xml/xml-id/004.xml
>>
>>   -> the style sheets are invalid and background:lime is not
>>      part of them, any implementation that passes the tests
>>      is broken
>
>I beg to differ; the XML Stylesheet PIs in those tests seem quite correct
>to me. Could you elaborate?

The data:text/css,test{background:red}test#test{background:lime} is
a URI reference to the "test{background:lime}" fragment of the style
sheet. I sure hope there is no WHATWG proposal that changes that as
that would be incompatible with a broad range of URI and RFC 2397
implementations.

>Since in the real world Web browsers are required to implement
>interoperable error handling behaviour much as that that will be described
>for the HTML5 WHATWG proposals, I would say these tests are at worse
>theoretically premature, and certainly not irrelevant.

Well, they don't really help demonstrate interoperable implementation of
xml:id in CSS implementations; even if all tests were correct, they have
too poor coverage to serve as argument for requiring xml:id support in
CSS 2.1. Some of the tests might of course be useful for other purposes.