Inline positioning context

From: <w3cstyle@karsites.net>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 18:34:47 +0100 (BST)
To: www-style@w3.org

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to write a generic drop-down menu system, using
CSS positioning and a dash of JS.

I would like to use some plain text for the main menu
bar, with each menu option encased in a <span></span>
tagset.

So, when the user mouseover's the text element in a span,
the appropriate menu list appears, with its position being
an offset of the span element.

I have tried setting the position: relative for the span
class, but the positioning context defaults to the outer <div>
block, that contains the set of spans.

It appears that I need to be able to set the positioning
context for the drop-down menu list(s) for each span.

But, as a span is an inline element, it's not working as I
expected it to.

Is it possible to set the positioning context for inline
elements, to make this work?

If not, would it be possible to make inline elements have a
positioning context of their own, for subsequent child
elements?

What about a property like, position-context: true/false
to apply to inline elements?

Regards - Keith Roberts

http://www.karsites.net/