List selector and class attribute

From: Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde@carewolf.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:39:21 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

I hope you can help me with a small problem with class-selectors

In CSS 2.1 and CSS Selectors the List selectors is described like this:
	"Match when the element's "att" attribute value is a space-separated list of
"words", one of which is exactly "val". If this selector is used, the words
in the value must not contain spaces (since they are separated by spaces)."

"Notice the term space-separated. "

In HTML 4.01 the class attribute is described like this:
	"This attribute assigns a class name or set of class names to an element. Any
number of elements may be assigned the same class name or names. Multiple
class names must be separated by white space characters."

Notice here it is "separated by white-space characters".

The question is:
	Should =~ match white-space separated values instead, or really only
space-separated.
	Or should HTML attributes be white-space transformed so only spaces remain.

`Allan