Re: [css2.1] 'overflow', the root element and the viewport

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:27:18 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: W3C CSS List <www-style@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:
>> However, Opera does *not* propagate the 'overflow' from the root
>> element to the viewport
>
> That's intentional. Opera currently does not intend to let authors
> remove the scrollbars at all.

The the spec should be changed in a different way I guess. Either
'overflow' should be propagated to the viewport or it should not be
possible to apply it to the root element.

A different way to describe that would be that every browser propagates
the 'overflow' property from the root element to the viewport but it may
ignore what it specifies if the browser vendor or UA things it hurts the
browsing experience of the user.

(Otherwise some browser propagate the property and other browsers apply
it directly which does not create interoparable pages. Wording it as
above satisfies both needs.)

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>