Re: ECMAScript in CSS aka "Expressions"

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:17:39 +0100
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Bert Bos wrote:
> Not quite sure if this is what you mean, but the working group recently
> decided to investigate the implications of allowing simple, linear
> expressions as values. For example:
>
>     width: expr(50% + 5px);
>     font-size: expr(2em / 3 + 2px);
>     padding-right: expr(1px + 1ex - 5%);

I recall a 'calc()' proposal. Why has it been renamed to 'expr()'? Is it
to be expected that it handles more than just some calculation? Or is it
intentionally because IE has an 'expression()' value? If the latter, I
hope the WG will choose 'calc()' instead since that will not cause any
confusion.

('expression' can be used as a hack to "implement" various properties in
IE. Like 'position:fixed', 'min-width' and family, et cetera. It accepts
javascript as an argument.)

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>