Re: Regular Expressions in CSS3

From: Justin Wood (Callek) <116057@bacon.qcc.mass.edu>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 00:42:18 -0500
To: "The Bo$$" <theboss3@gmail.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

The Bo$$ wrote:

>Besides the attribute selectors (with ^, $, and *) will there be any
>more Regular Expression implementation in CSS3?
>
>I think it would be feasible to have something like
>
>^.control
>
>where the above selector would select the first element with
>class="control". Feedback is appreciated.

Well personally I do not think CSS3 will include any more big Selector
Changes like that, but me not being on any official means, I do not know...

a :first-of(some-selector) would be interesting and potentially useful
from my mind, which does seem to be roughly what you are looking for.

or even some subset of a selector, such as element, or class name, etc. ;-)

I can see |:first-of(div .love) > *[name="Kathleen"] { }

to set style to the first occurance of some element of class love, which
is a descendant of div, with an emmediate child with an attribute name
which = Kathleen ;-)

Something to think about for CSS4 imho

~Justin Wood (Callek on moznet IRC)