Re: Why reduce font size

From: Brian Sexton <discussion-w3c@ididnotoptin.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 06:55:06 -0800
To: "Paul Duncan" <paul.duncan@marketpipe.com>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

Paul,

> Thanks to standards I exclusively use font sizes specified as "x-small and
> xx-small etc..."
> Why? I use this as it allows the users of ALL browsers (including IE) to
> change the size of the font according to their wishes.
>
> It's scary to note that some of those large organisations you highlighted
> fix the font size (Apple at 12px) which does limit the accessibility to
> their sites.

Just because Internet Explorer lacks an accessibility feature that every
half-decent browser has--in this case, resizing text from so-called fixed
sizes--does not mean that it is the Web developer who is limiting
accessibility by using fixed sizes.

As I see it, in this case, there are two problems: the browser's failure to
resize text set to such sizes (a failing that makes even less sense to me
than using the term "favorites" to refer to bookmarks--a decent metaphor and
less likely to have distasteful implications--or limiting their names to
names allowed by the underlying file system) and the common notion that a
particular outdated browser with poor standards support even matters when
free and inexpensive browsers with better standards support and
accessibility features are available for all major computer platforms.

I do not think we should appeal to the failings of a particular browser--any
particular browser, regardless of how common it is--as a point against using
those so-called fixed sizes or anything else.

Kind regards,

Brian Sexton