Re: Image-dislay status media query for reducing reflows -was Re: FAQ about reasons behind CSS

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:08:38 +0100 (BST)
To: www-style@w3.org

> Ability to style the alt tags would be very nice, I am not aware how
> currently the alt tags inherit their properties, is there are rule for it
> in CSS or HTML?

There are no alt elements in HTML, and therefore no alt tags.  CSS
inheritance only applies to elements.

HTML 4.0 introduced a replacement for IMG that does have stylable
fallback contents.  Unfortunately browsers implemented OBJECT
very badly.  In XHTML 2, almost every element can behave in this
way, so styling alt attribute text is really a legacy issue.