Re: We are where we are.... but how did we get here?

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:06:01 +0200
To: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Orion Adrian schreef:
>>And I'm not really sure whether it is worthwhile to sacrifice proper
>>incremental rendering in favour of being able to specify such grids.
>
> This problem can be fixed without breaking incremental rendering in
> most cases, but it requires come changes in how we think about
> layouts. It also still has a lot of the problems (e.g. complex
> interactions) that need to be solved.

What I mean is, the number of designs where using e.g. a grid layout
which breaks incremental rendering is limited (after all, look at all
the current CSS-based web pages, and those arenít even using
display:table and absolute positioning), and other methods should be
tried first :).

<separator />

By the way, I wonder how the grid layout is insufficient. Your approach
seemed to be just reordering of the document structure (or I must look
better). The grid layout works based on a layout you want to achieve. It
is indeed a different perspective, but it can do the same, and I think
the grid one is more appropriate to CSS?

~Grauw