Re: We are where we are.... but how did we get here?

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:42:29 +0200
To: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Orion Adrian schreef:
> It's time that W3C styling specs took this into account.

Have you read http://www.w3.org/Talks/2005/0513-CSS-WWW2005/all.htm ???

Those are the plans to solve the layout problem, as far as I understand.

Although I don’t think it is really that much of a problem with CSS
2.1... The difficulty of creating layouts easily right now is mainly
caused by IE’s lack of support for the ‘display: table’ properties and
absolute positioning with ‘width: auto’ and a specified left and right
offsets.

And I’m not really sure whether it is worthwhile to sacrifice proper
incremental rendering in favour of being able to specify such grids.

I think the abovementioned layout techniques are really powerful and
just not exploited well yet because they just cannot be used currently.
Look at the amount of resources available about n-column layouts using
floats and such. Now imagine that display: table and absolute
positioning would work properly in the no. 1 browser, and the amount of
information that would become available on using those effectively.

~Grauw