Re: CSS is doomed (10 years per version ?!?)

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:00:04 +0200
To: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Orion Adrian schreef:
>>From http://www.grauw.nl/articles/css-faq.php
>
> "Say, 2 years for specification, 3 years before adoption by all common
> browser engines, and another 5 years before the majority of users have
> upgraded. That adds up to 10 years. Could be better, could be worse,
> but you're talking about many years in any case."

Well, maybe not 10 years but 5 in a little brighter scenario... It all
depends on the circumstances.

What the market position of the different browsers will be, whether
Microsoft will continue (standards-based) development on IE after IE7
and how fast they will adopt new CSS3 features, whether the upgrade
cycle of users will become faster...

And the standardisation process of CSS3 will probably also go faster
once CSS 2.1 is done (in Bert Bosíes article about Ďgridí he mentions a
year of standardisation process... but again, after 2.1 is done).

It also depends on your environment... If youíre only using a single
layout engine for which development is cutting-edge, and you donít need
to wait for user adoption (for example ĎPrinceí, to transform XML + CSS
to PDF), then much of CSS3 could already be implemented in two or three
years, when the specifications have matured.

But, be it 3, 5 or 10 years, it certainly isnít short-term, but it also
isnít *that* terribly long... I mean, donít forget that browser
development wonít be standing still, and there will be support for
existing CSS 2.1 and CSS3 goodness, SVG, etc.

And if in 10 years weíll have a number of browsers which all work in a
compatible manner and with the entirity of CSS3 implemented... Sure,
Iíll be happy.

> This is one of those things that I read and didn't real think about,
> but later it hit me.

The main point was to illustrate that suggesting improvements to CSS is
never a way to fix your immediate problems :).

Maybe I should shave a few years off that number, if it works
discouraging... It might not be a very optimistic scenario, although Iím
also trying to be realistic.

~Grauw