Re: We are where we are.... but how did we get here?

From: Adam Kuehn <akuehn@nc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:53:41 -0400
To: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org

Orion Adrian wrote:
>I was around the last time they were discussing the single versus
>multi-pass argument. Apparently multi-pass would complicate the
>algorithm. It's far from impossible, unless someone would like to
>correct me. It seems IE has a multi-pass system; what is it they've
>lost?

Support for the "inherit" keyword and display: table come to mind.
See <http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1070385285&count=1> if you haven't
already.

I'm still trying to think of a brilliant solution to this, since it
seems to be one of the biggest shortcomings of CSS.  Unfortunately,
I've not yet proven myself to be a brilliant enough person to work it
out.  Feel free to let us know when you have arrived at an elegant
solution.

--

-Adam Kuehn