Re: Invisible Text

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:11:23 -0400
To: Martijn <martijn.martijn@gmail.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Martijn wrote:
> Well, I think nowadays a very large negative text-indent is used to
> hide the text in current browsers,

    I was going to use text-indent and "overflow: hidden" to hide the
content, but then I realized that browser with only CSS 1 support would
look kinda strange. I may just have to settle for that, though. It
actually works well in IE6, Firefox and Opera 8. I didn't use a negative
value, though:

| text-index: [value greater than width];
| overflow: hidden;

    I like the negative value idea. It allows for the content to be
forced off the page in CSS1 browsers. It's still feels like a dirty
hack, though. I may go back to just using <span> elements with "display:
none"...

 > but css has got color:transparent,
> which would be a convenient way to hide text:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/CR-css3-color-20030514/#color0

    I'd actually tried something similar ("color: rgba(0,0,0,0);"), but
it didn't work in IE, Firefox or Opera. The same is true for the
"transparent" keyword. I know I have the CSS right because "color: red;"
works fine.