Re: Is Safari right or wrong? Should "display: none" prevent form elements from being submitted?

From: Brian Sexton <discussion-w3c@ididnotoptin.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 01:57:28 -0700
To: <www-style@w3.org>

Allan,

> I don't know about forms, but normally display: none elements should be
> treated as they do not exists at all. To only remove them from rendering
> you
> should use display: hidden.

I am not sure that is quite so as an element which can be alternately
displayed and not displayed should be able to have dynamically-generated
content and dynamically-set properties persist between states and there may
be good reasons for accessing such content and properties while an element
is not being displayed.  Also, "display: hidden" leaves an element's space
in place, so the visual effect is not the same as "display: block", but
thank you for the suggestion.

Kind regards,

Brian Sexton