RE: Fwd: [CSS21] properties for table-column (In HTML: COL) & table-column-group (In HTML: COLGROUP) items.

From: Paul Duncan <paul.duncan@marketpipe.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:39:38 +0100
To: <www-style@w3.org>

> The only valid properties for table-column type elements
> Columns</a> are 'border', 'background',  'width',  and 'visibility'.

> Additionally these elements should support 'color', and the various
> 'text', 'font' and 'align' properties. All of the supported properties

I agree these should/must be supported.
As we move away from tables being used for layout and start using tables for
their intended purpose which is to display data, CSS2.1 and (X)HTML quickly
prove inadequate. Try highlighting a column in a table and you find the code
required bloated, complex and unintuitive. How much easier would it be to
change the columns colour property?

Tables by their nature consist of elements grouped by columns. These element
properties will have to be supported at some point so let's get the ball
rolling :-)

Paul