Re: Proposal: content-vertical-alignment

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 00:17:08 +0100 (BST)
To: www-style@w3.org

> Assuming everything is set to auto (width, height, margins) couldn't you
> simply render a "square" which contains all the text in the exact center of
> it's container?

There's no quoted context or in-reply-to header, so I don't know which
point you are responding to, but as I noted in another reply, the
CSS specifications go to some trouble to ensure that either the top or
bottom of a block level box is known before rendering of content starts.
Both margins auto is forced to both margins zero if the height is not
explicit or intrinsic.