Re: Proposal: content-vertical-alignment

From: Lauri Raittila <laurirai@mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:52:48 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:47:00 +0200, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:

> Emrah BASKAYA wrote:
>> Proposal: A new property that will allow any content in a given element
>> be centered vertically:
>> content-vertical-align
>
> Just incase you, and anyone else, are unaware of this fact, vertical
> centering is already possible using at least 2 different methods that I
> know of (ignoring browser support issues).

As it seems that this was not common knowledge, I would like to mention
that there is some more methods:
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~laurirai/www/css/middle/

It tries to document some methods of vertical centering. Some methods are
not in it. For example inline-block inside inline block method is not yet
there...

All have some issues, and not only in browser support. I would like to see
good solution. This far I have not seen good one. Solution should solve
the problem of centered content is bigger than element in which it is
centered, even when max-height can't be set. If that is not solved there
is no reason for new method.

PS. Someone said that IE6 supports inline-block for only natively inline
content. That is not true, you can also use it with combination with
display:inline; , but it still sometimes don't work. You might need to use
some magic, like add line body {text-align:left}

--
Lauri Raittila <http://www.iki.fi/lr>
@Utrecht, NL