Re: [CSS2.1] Interaction (or lack of such) of lists and counters

On Wednesday 2005-06-15 18:58 -0400, George Chavchanidze wrote:
> This happens because list-style properties are not integrated with the
> rest of CSS2.1. You can't adjust style of list style markers, they behave
> like
> foreign objects that lay ouside the scope of CSS. The present solution is
> quite ugly
> and I think list-style-type should be merged somehow with the rest of CSS.

CSS2.0 had a solution for this, 'display: marker' [1], that had a number
of problems.  css3-lists has an improved solution for this, the ::marker
pseudo-element [2], which is still under development.  I'm hoping to
provide some experimental implementation feedback on this proposal
sometime in the next year or two.  However, this proposal is far outside
of the scope of CSS2.1, as described in [3].

-David

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/generate.html#q11
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-lists-20021107/#markers
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-CSS21-20050613/about.html#q1

          Technical Lead, Layout & CSS, The Mozilla Foundation