Re: Proposal: content-vertical-alignment

On Jun 10, 2005, at 7:47 AM, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Emrah BASKAYA wrote:
>

>> Proposal: A new property that will allow any content in a given
>> element to
>> be centered vertically:
>> content-vertical-align
>>

> Just incase you, and anyone else, are unaware of this fact,
> vertical centering is already possible using at least 2 different
> methods that I know of (ignoring browser support issues).

Wouldn't it be preferable, perhaps, to change the way a current
property, vertical-align or margin, works? Anything else would add to
the bloat of proposed properties, and make it that much more
difficult to teach and work with CSS. Perhaps the method currently
available is preferable. It probably will not suffer /as/ long of a
wait for mainstream implementation as a new property or property
change would.

Perhaps if margin-top: auto; margin-bottom: auto required an
explicitly stated height or min-height, as without one there would be
no need for vertical centering (because the content would fill the
parent box).

--
Ryan Cannon
Instructional Technology