Re: Vertical Alignment

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 14:04:39 -0700
To: "David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, <www-style@w3.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 1:20 PM
Subject: Re: Vertical Alignment

>> I'm wondering, why the "vertical-align" property is restricted to
> ** table and inline elements. Actually in about 60% of the cases, in which
>
> The basic problem in block contexts is that it requires a look ahead,
> or that the display keep moving as more data arrives, or a sudden
> jump when the element is closed.  It's also not too clear what it means
> in a paginated context.

Technically speaking vertical-alignment is possible only
for blocks establishing block formatting context [1] for the
sole reason: existence of floating elements.
To be short: implementation of vertical alignment
(with acceptable performance) for other types of blocks-containers
is just impossible.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#block-formatting

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com