Re: Initial Value

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Felix Miata wrote:

> > If the latter interpretation is intended to be the only possible
> > interpretation, then it needs better language. It shouldn't say "...
> > reset ... then...". It should say reset only those values not explicit
> > in the rule.

> No, resetting all the values gives the same behavior and is generally simpler to
> consider.  To me it sounds like you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how
> the cascade works and how specified, computed, and used values differ...

I'm trying to better understand. But once again I refer you to the
actual language at http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#propdef-font

<em>are first reset to their
<em>Then</em> those properties that are given explicit values in the
'font' shorthand are set to those values." (emphasis supplied)

I think that the language here is both entirely clear and dictates a
much better result (reset to initial value medium, then apply 70% to
medium) than what you say the cascade demands (ignore initial value
medium (don't actually reset font-size, because we pretend the initial
value is to be wholly disregarded when immediately within one construct
followed by an explicit value), and apply 70% to an inherited 80%). If
the way cascade is supposed to work is inconsistent with the above 15.7
language, then the 15.7 language needs changing.

Don't forget, font is special. Besides its purported reset function, it
also handles specially system fonts, totally ignoring properties they
should inherit.
--
"Love does not demand its own way."                1 Corinthians 13:5

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/