Re: The process of the CSS WG (was: Is There a Problem?)

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Laurens Holst wrote:

> With regard to the process, I would appreciate some clarity in how
> formal proposals can be made so that they will be discussed in the next
> CSS WG meeting, and how the CSS WG keeps the submitter (and everyone
> else on the list) informed about what the outcome of that discussion is
> (rejected/accepted, etc, with rationale).

The only way to guarentee it is to become a W3C member and submit the
proposal to the working group as a working group member. W3C membership
fees are on a sliding scale, I believe the lowest price is $6350. [1]

[1] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/fees

However, there are CSS working groups members who monitor this list and if
they think an idea is good they bring it forward. What happends depends on
the spec and its editors. As an editor of the CSS 2.1, Selectors, Lists
and Generated Content specs I track all feedback on this list for those
specs and ensure I take it into account, but I can't speak for the other
editors (and in any case "taking it into account" can sometime mean
disagreeing and rejecting it).

In theory we are supposed to reply to all comments on our specs but in
practice the sheer volume of feedback we get makes that difficult. If you
have any questions about specific suggestions and feedback on CSS 2.1 in
particular, I'd be glad to look up what the resolution was and let you
know. (I manage the CSS 2.1 issues list.)