Re: New layout language.

Orion Adrian wrote:

>>By the way, in your example that you gave without right: and bottom:,
>>how can you specify that something ends x pixels before the end of the
>>window? In fact, how can you specify the place where a box ends in
>>anything else but percentages? You can't, so I think that makes your
>>proposal officially less powerful than CSS currently is :).
>>

>By defining the container it's in. The viewport is defined as well
>(but wasn't listed in the example). An oversight on my part.
>
>The viewport being another region is described as
>
>top: 0;
>left: 0;
>width: <number> + 100%;
>height: <number> + 100%;
>
>And with at addition it's absolute positioning is exactly as powerful,
>and simpler to boot.

I don’t think the problem I see can be dismissed so easily... What you
say doesn’t seem to work.

I can tell the container to offset 10px (or em whatever) from the top
and left. But how can I offset it from the bottom and right by a
similarly fixed amount? It seems that controlling the width can only be
done by percentages, which means that it is impossible to create a
balanced offset from the left and the right except when using
percentages for the right as well.

If for example in the code you just gave I specify a left: 10em, and a
width: 100%, the box will have zero offset from the right:

+--------+
+ [     ]+  (not centered)

And when I instead use width: 90% it depends on the viewport whether the
distance to the right will be smaller, equal to or larger than 10em:

+ [   ]  +  (not centered)

Also, I do not think it is right to limit the absolute values to em only
(and not use units). Em is not the be-all-end-all...

~Grauw