Re: New layout language.

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 14:12:48 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

On 7/7/05, Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> Orion Adrian schreef:
> > There wasn't a discussion. I find that a lot of people here just
> > listen long enough to find a flaw. They don't even really understand
> > it all, but they jump to criticism. It's not true of everyone or even
> > the majority, but there are certain people here. I have been one of
> > them from time and time and I know it's bad behavior and I try and
> > avoid it best I can. But it's hurtful to the community and it needs to
> > stop. I'll try as best I can.
>
> Ofcourse there is criticism. That is part of a discussion and
> particularly discussions about a proposal. To identify whether something
> is useful or not, you must find the flaws. If there aren't any, or minor
> ones, it is a good proposal.

There is a difference between criticism for refinement and criticism
for the sake of criticism. To discover whether something is useful or
not requires exploring it, not dismissing it. Criticism should happen
after understanding, not beforehand. Criticising before you understand
something is pointless is it not?

> If you can't take the criticism, and don't listen to it and adjust your
> proposal accordingly so that in the end there can be something that
> satisfies all parties, then it is pointless to go on.

I have adjusted what there needed to be adjusted which by the way was
nothing in this latest proposal. I did however fully explain myself
after 30 or so posts. I'm willing to satisfy all parties, but I get a
real sense that people will dismiss my proposals because they just
don't like me.

--

Orion Adrian