Re: Dimensions better than unitless numbers for future CSS specs

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:49:24 +0200
To: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

Etan Wexler schreef:
> In some situations, a unitless number makes perfect sense. (The
> properties 'counter-increment', 'widows', and 'orphans' come to mind.)
> But, mostly, we should avoid unitless numbers.

How is a unitless number for an addition different from using a unitless
number for a multiplication (as is the case with line-height, and would
be with word-spacing)?

That’s the whole idea of unitless numbers, they are used for pure
mathematical operations where a unit is not appliccable. After all, if
you have 5 times 1 meter, you don’t say "1m x 5m", but you say "1m x 5".

Note by the way that CSS in SVG currently already makes wide use of
unitless numbers. I believe this has not been approved by the CSS WG though.

~Grauw