Re: New layout language.

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 20:36:30 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

> Ok Orion, here's the css to do it.  As a preface, this only works in Moz,
> but then I'd only expect it to.  Additionally, the view resized nicely
> until I put your minimum numbers on there.  Initially it was completely
> liquid resizing in all instances, with your minimums added it became less
> pretty, but perhaps that could be fixed with a min-margin-left:unit; sort
> of tag added to css.  It's actually a cool idea.  Here's the code, to do
> what you said couldn't be done.  Took me about 45 minutes all told.  If I
> could spell "position" it would have taken a LOT less.  Keep in mind I've
> added all the bells and whistles here.  I'd personally pull all the
> min-whatever attributes out, but you wanted them so they're there.  I think
> the system you've described would have the same resize problems that css
> has here, since I still don't see a difference between absolute positions
> and what you're proposing.

I stand corrected.

Here's the code to do it the other way (in the new system):

left {
	top: 10px;
	left: 10px;
	height: 400px + 100%;
	width: 200px;
}

midleft {
	top: 10px;
	left: 210px;
	height: 320px + 80%;
	width: 200px + 50%;
}

midright {
	top: 10px;
	left: 420px + 50%;
	height: 320px + 80%;
	width: 200px + 50%;
}

right {
	top: 10px;
	left: 430px + 100%;
	height: 400px + 100%;
	width: 200px;
}

bottom {
	top: 340px + 80%;
	left: 630px;
	height: 70px + 20%
	widht: 410px + 100%;
}

It took 3 minutes. It can be automated easily by a WYSIWYG editor
since the code for a layout is obvious (it's deterministic).

The time savings alone should make it worth it. But again I stand
corrected. It was due to the complexity of the CSS code I guess that
made me think it wasn't possible.

Orion Adrian

--

Orion Adrian