Re: Unitless dimensions

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 23:52:05 +0200
To: "P.Taylor" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

P.Taylor wrote:

> My thanks to all who have offered help here;
> it looks as if line-height is indeed the
> "special case" I was thinking of, which doesn't
> help for the problem at hand ("why is IE scaling
> H1 -- H6 with 'text size' but not scaling P,
> OL, UL & LI, when the only element for which
> a font size is specified is BODY ?", so I need to
> do more research but am most grateful for the
> speedy responses by all concerned.

Because h1 ... h6 are defined using the CSS font size units ‘small’,
‘medium’, ‘large’, ‘x-large’, etc. And you cannot affect the actual
sizes of those values in CSS, only in the browser UI.

This is particularly annoying when using e.g. a font like Verdana which
is much bigger than the default Times New Roman... A ‘medium’ character
in Times New Roman is pretty much the same size as a ‘small’ sized
character in Verdana.

I was looking for a similar thing just now, today (I thought I could
recollect a similar thing as you mentioned). All I could find is:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-fonts-20020802/#font-size-adjust

Which may work, but I’m not sure how it works exactly. It’s probably not
implemented anyway.

~Grauw