Re: FAQ about reasons behind CSS

Mikko Rantalainen schreef:
>> As an example, look at:
>> http://map.tni.nl/resources/msxsystemvars.php#USRTAB
>> Or the third table at:
>> http://map.tni.nl/resources/msx_io_ports.php#switch_io
>
> I disagree. Both examples you provided would be perfectly understandable
> if the rowspan were removed and missing cells were filled with the
> repetation of cell data.

The meaning would be different (even though the point would probably get
accross as well). None of these addresses is called USRTAB. The entire
range #F39A-#F3AC is called USRTAB.

When looking at defining those labels, the following code is incorrect
(and impossible):
USRTAB: EQU #F39A
USRTAB: EQU #F39B

(where EQU is the assembly equivalent of define). Nowhere in any
specification does it say that address #F39B has the label ‘USRTAB’.

So telling me to do it otherwise is like telling me to ‘remove those
<em> tags’. It changes the meaning of the content.

> I consider colspan and rowspan as premature optimization. If you're
> afraid of extra bytes to transfer, just apply compression. Reduntant
> strings can be easily compressed. OTOH, if you're afraid that author is
> required to type more characters, then perhaps we should remove all
> those long closing tags, too? Any closing tag could be easily replaced
> with </> because it's clear in XHTML anyway which starting tag it should
> be matched with...

I have no concern over bytes whatsoever, really :).

All I care about is the content. I want those cells to be combined into
one cell. The end result (the adjecent cells being combined) is a
typographical effect that conveys the semantics I desire to express, and
I think rowspan is suitable to express such a them.

Additionally: this also removes redundancy in the content (which is
something else than saving bytes). I would say that is desirable as well.

With regard to skipping closing tags or using ‘</>’, in XHTML that is
obviously not an option. Additionally: I am using an authoring tool to
edit those pages, so whether or not closing tags are present does not
concern me.

So, how the mechanism works precisely I do not care about, but there
must be a means to do this. Right now we have col- and rowspan, so col-
and rowspan I shall use. The semantics could be better, but it does the job.

~Grauw