Re: Proposal: :column pseudo-class

Ian Hickson schreef:

>Adding a whole new layout mechanism is massive overkill when there is a
>much simpler solution that solves the column selector problem neatly in
>the current model (using semantic-based column selectors, as suggested by
>dbaron several times already on this thread).

I of course agree that it is overkill :).

The solution you mention however has the disadvantage that the
underlying language would have to communicate with CSS what the tables
are, and that it cannot apply to any XML language whose tables are
displayed using a stylesheet only, right?

Although it will be most used in the context of a language like HTML,
where the user agent can convey such semantics... So I guess it would
solve the problem for most users.

~Grauw