Re: Proposal: content-vertical-alignment

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

> | I don't *understand* your idea. I can't have an opinion without a proposal
> | that I actually understand.
>
> Do you understand layout behavior and calculation of

No, I don't. I mentioned this earlier:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Jul/0097.html

The spec doesn't define it, and I have yet to meet anyone who is able to
describe that in enough detail for it to be testable.

> | I can criticize formal proposals. I can't criticize ideas where every
> | comment gets the response "well yes, but that isn't a problem because in
> | the real proposal it would be solved".
>
> "well yes, but that isn't a problem because in the real proposal it
> would be solved" Where did you get it?

Well, it's not so much what I wrote here, it's more a matter of my not
understanding your answers, I think. For example I don't understand most
of what you said in:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Jun/0110.html

> | > | > |

> | > |

> | > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#normal-flow
>
> "If that property has the value 'justify', the user agent may stretch
> the inline boxes as well."
>
> Again, this phrase is not formal enough ( :-p )
> Does UA allowed to stretch *all* inline boxes ( including inline blocks) ?

Yes. The spec seems quite clear about this, I don't see what you don't
think is formal enough.

> BTW one more illustration which might help to understand %% units:

> Is the same as

> where
> .flex
> {
>    display: inline-block;
>    width: 50%%;
> }

'text-align: justify' also allows the UA to _stretch_ the boxes, e.g.
adding spaces between letters (with 'letter-spacing: normal'). If you are
saying %% does this, then what's the point in %%, when we have 'justify'?

> So you agree with:
>
>   "This phrase literally means than UA allowed to change width
>   of <span style="display:inline-block; width:100px">"
>
> ?

The spec seems quite clear that this would be allowed, yes.